Adapting

When people of my vintage travel the tendency is to wax poetic about the good old days when all we needed was a spare pair of jeans, two camisoles and a windbreaker to swan our way through Europe, all the while looking effortlessly chic.  Well, those days are over!

Times have changed and we have changed with it.  I begin by reminding you of a few very important items to pack for any upcoming trip.  No, I am not talking about your Passport, I'm talking about Aleve.  You never know when something is going to flare up or fall out of place.  Try and find some without those nurse-proof safety caps that require a hatchet to break into.

In fact I'm a big fan of over-the-counter medication genre.  If there's a body part and they make an OTC pill for it I suggest packing some. I draw the line at antibiotics. Always let a professional prescribe those. We have family members who could stop an Ebola outbreak in its tracks with their personal stash.

While we're on the subject of medical, let's not forget a knee brace.  Now wouldn't you feel foolish limping into the farmacia in Florence to buy one when back home you have a drawer full of enough assorted body braces to outfit the Chicago Bears?  This brings to mind the dorsi-flexion foot splint that came in so handy when I was hopping around on one foot with plantar fasciitis.  That's definitely going in the suitcase.  Of course, my orthotics are professionally tweaked and ready.

One thing that's NOT going is any expensive beauty treatment.  Once I had to surrender a costly tube of lip gloss (all in the name of national security!) to a female TSA agent in El Paso with the most luxurious mustache I have ever seen.  Hope she enjoyed it.

Now with my newly silvered hair I can skip the SPF hair sprays and the anti-fade shampoos and conditioners although granddaughter Kline commented that she preferred my hair when it was orange.  Thank you, dear Kline.

So I guess I have a head start on packing.  And by the way, I'm not 85.  I just want to be prepared. Yes, times really have changed! Travel will be fun but it will be hard to leave all this!

Comments

  1. You gave me a good laugh!
    I spend a lot of time keeping my body in working order also.
    Ci vediamo, Marcy Blodgett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always leave my camisoles at home. Buon viaggio.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog