Passages

They say when one door closes another opens and I would like to believe that.

 In the run up to my departure my thoughts return time and time again to my next door neighbors, Tye and Bob.  Tye is in the end stages of her struggle with cancer and it appears that I may be gone when that struggle ends.  While we were never real intimates we are certainly friends and I will truly miss her.

A child of the Southwest, Tye is a lover of Mexican food and heaven knows, I am an honorary Mexican, having spent most of my life on the border.  Last fall on a cool morning, lured by the aroma wafting from my grill that heralds autumn in New Mexico, she joined me on our back patio, wig fluffed and eyebrows meticulously applied, while I roasted about forty pounds of Hatch green chile, a mere nine month supply for the Krupp's. We had a lovely visit and when she made her way across the yard between our homes she had her take home bag of long green with her.

Each year at that time we had our annual chile relleno dinner.  Of course, I would supply something more Gerber-like for Bob, who is not a fan of the hot stuff.  One thing about Tye, she understands that you cannot make a chile relleno out of a Poblano pepper! Take note Austin Tex-Mex.

We gathered together last winter for cocktails.  It was freezing cold so I supplied tequila shots with a fiery sangrita chaser.  Known as little blood, sangrita is a mix of tomato and orange juices with raw onion and chile de arbol. Sounds horrible, but it's wonderful and certainly takes your mind off the fact that you just slammed some tequila.  Even Bob had some.  Of course, I thoughtfully gave him a wet paper towel when he turned beet red.

We have had many pleasant times together.  Tye is an innately social person and I think illness sadly robbed her of many opportunities to enjoy the company of her friends and neighbors.  But when such an occasion occurred, whether it was Howl at the Moon, a neighborhood gathering or a simple cocktail hour, Tye was always of good cheer.  Never complaining or self-pitying she will always be an example to me of how to handle adversity with grace.

I hope only good doors open for Tye.  As she would end every email, I say Cheers! Cheers to Tye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog